Total Pageviews

Monday, May 21, 2012

Soldier - 5/20/12

Worked Soldier in the round pen today.  I think you have to be careful with roundpen work, too many times it just turns into mind numbing circles to wear a horse out.  When I got him in the round pen all he wanted to do was just run circles, all of his turns were just him seeing how fast he could get going the other direction.  He was not looking for direction or contact with me, when we first started.  Even when I took the pressure off of him, he just continued to run circles.

We probaly worked at least an hour before he started looking for me and trying to see what I was asking him do do.  While he was just runnining circles, I first tried to back away to take the pressure off.  This had no effect, so I stood in the center and tried to keep my back to him.  He eventually started looking at me, trying to figure out why I wasn't putting pressure on him.  The break through was the point he stopped and turned toward me.  At that time I walked up to him and spent some time just being friendly.

He will be better tomorrow than he was today, that's all you can ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment