Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Sissy - 6/18/13

More of the same today!

I had every intention today of saddling Sissy, but once she caught site of my girls 4-H lambs....she was a little spooked.  Not that you would notice much in the video, but if you watch when I am hopping (yeah, I said hopping!) close to her hind end...she lays her ears back.  She was not comfortable at all with me doing what I was doing, where I was doing it.  ***alright, here it is...with all the grunting and talking to her that happened***


Now, let me clarify the "hopping".  This is a great big mare, if I am going to ride her...I had better be able to hop a little to put my foot in the stirrup (it's also a good desensitizing tool...if she can stand this, then she will be fine).  So I risked looking like a fool and hopped all around her, after I sacked her with the saddle pad for a while.

Once she was comforable with me and the hopping, we called it a day.  (this was a small portion of the work, I can only load so much of a video from my phone).  This is where the lamb stress kicked in.  Before I started, I had tied my girls 4-H lambs...once she realized that she was going to have to walk right past them...she started stressing a little....then the neighbors cows came up...more stress...

She eventually calmed down a little, but she stressed pretty good about the lambs!  She was hot and started pawing...really nervous.  I eventually moved her back to her pasture and she calmed down, but  here (the lambs) is something for her to get used to and realize that the lambs will not eat her!

No comments:

Post a Comment