Total Pageviews

Monday, June 24, 2013

Sissy - 6/23/13

After the "no catch attitude" of yesterday, I decided to go ahead and work her today.  What we did yesterday, really worked well for today.  Walked right up to her in the pasture.

Once we got to the round pen, I did all of the basics I have been talking about since we started.  Spend more time now, to spend less time later!  We moved pretty quickly to the saddling and I again did the barrel thing.  She had no problems.

Next thing was prep for mounting.  I did a lot of leaning in the sttirrups, just getting her used to pressure and pull.  These are things she will have to get used to, she's a big mare and you will not always be in a position to have a mounting block.  She should be able to deal with push/pull and hoppin', without freaking out!

 
Once we got through a lot of that, I started stepping into the stirrup and leaning across the saddle.  I did this on both sides...ALOT!  When I felt she was ready, I stepped across and sat down.  One of the best things you can do to a horse after getting on the first time...is to get the heck off!  I got back on and off several times.  I did not step her out (which could lead to the ride being a lot more western), I want to drive her a while before I start asking her to move (one rein stops work best if the horse knows what you are asking for)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment