Total Pageviews

Monday, June 24, 2013

Sissy - 6/22/13

Ol' Sis had a little trouble today.  Not with anything as far as training, she just looked at me coming to catch her in the pasture and said "not today!"  She took off runnin'.

This is not a big deal, she just recognized that I represented work.  With the help of my bride we played what Parelli calls the catching game.  Basically everytime she ran away, we forced her to do it with speed!  When she stopped, we stopped and took the pressure off.  Took her about a five minutes to decide this was a whole lot more work than just standing there and letting my wife catch her!  Felicia walked up to her as easy as you please. 

When I put the halter on her I decided that since it was Saturday and we had been running all day with lamb tag-in, church work day and delivery of a little mare to West Columbia; this would be a good day to reward her for letting us catch her (see this link for a little lesson on that).  I just turned her loose in the round pen and let her be for an hour or so.

Sometimes training horses isn't about quantity, its about quality!  If you have a horse that you have trouble catching...what do you do with them when you get them caught?  NOTHING fustrates me more than a horse you can't catch, I used to work the devil out of them when I had them caught (just wanted to make sure that they would remember me and this punishment  I was giving them...they always did...they were always harder to catch the next time!)  there is a tale I could tell about that...maybe on my other blog sometime.

We will see how Sissy catches the next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment