Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Sissy - 6/25/13


Started the day just like every other one.  Groundwork, groundwork, groundwork…I can’t say it enough. Spend more time now, to spend less time later.  This is especially important for young horses, but even with an older (finished) horse…sometimes it will pay off to back up and remind them of some of the basics.  It will also help you as a horseman/horsewoman.

I saddled her with a thicker pad today, but she was still pretty cranky about me getting on.  So tomorrow I will try a different saddle.

I drove her today and she is progressing nicely.  I increased the pressure a little by asking for more speed as I drove her.  I did this based on how her mindset was, as long as she didn’t stress out…the speed was ok.  If she had stressed, we would have backed up and slowed down.  She drove like a champ.

Today when I put the snaffle in her mouth I did a little “catch and release”.  Meaning I hooked my lead to one side and asked her to release to the pressure, when she did…I released also.  I did this on both sides, the goal is to be as consistent as a fence post.  That fence post applies the same pressure no matter what the horse is doing, and releases that pressure as soon as the horse releases.  I have been riding her with just a rope halter and lead, so the pull is different for than a snaffle.  The rope halter/bosal is a push, meaning when I pull the direction I want to go…the halter/bosal is pushing on the opposite side.  A snaffle/side-pull is a pull, meaning when I pull…the snaffle pulls the same way.  Sissy had a little trouble with this at first, but with a little patience she did ok.

When I rode her today, I continued to let her carry that snaffle around and guided her with the rope halter.  She is really doing well and if she does well tomorrow, then I will start using just the snaffle.

After riding for about 30 minutes, she started limping a little on her right front.  I think that this is maybe a case of sore muscles or she could have just stepped on a rock, but I did not want to chance it.  So we stopped and I hydro’d her leg and turned her loose.  I don't think this will be a big issue and  tomorrow her leg will be better…but we will monitor this going forward. 

No comments:

Post a Comment