Total Pageviews

Monday, August 22, 2011

Hoss - 8/20/11

Did not get a lot of opportunity to work with Hoss this week, so today I chose to ride him.  He was really "high".  He strikes me as a horse that really like to move out and work.  So that's what we did.  I started out in his ground eating walk, asking him to tuck his nose.  Once he was consistently giving to that ask, I sped him up a little.  His head went out and his nose went up!  So of course, we were back (at a trot, back hollowed out) out of control again.  I kept him in a trot and again started asking him to tuck his nose as we went.  It didn't take him long to get more collected.  I did not lope him much, just too hot to get him that over heated.

I did work on some turns as he felt like a carousel horse.  Meaning he wanted to turn on his middle and felt like he had a pole guiding his steps whenever we turned.  Now some ground work will clean this up, but since I was riding...I did some turns into the fence.  He was more willing to turn on his hind end, but he needed to go slow to learn where to put his feet.  There are still lots of opportunities for him to get better.

FYI....Hoss went home today.  Good luck Robin and Lynn!

2 comments:

  1. Wanted to give you and update on Hoss. He's the love if my life! I can't say enough about him. He's a fabulous trail horse! He knows where his feet are and is brave through tough terrain. He gets better everyday out on trails. He could use some "Corey" ground work and some arena work on basic flat work, but he loves his job of trail horse. He and I have really grown and I feel confident when we ride that I can handle him no matter what comes our way. You never know what you will encounter on our trails, deer, raccoons, nutria, beaver, large birds flying close, motorcycles, 4 wheelers, loose dogs, bicycles, etc! We are ok with all of them. He will lead, follow and go out alone. Cross creeks, walk down creek, go through deep tight ravines, or basically anywhere I point him!! ~Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you, Robin! Glad you and Hoss are working well together. Sounds like he is adjusting well to his job! We can get together and you can learn the basic ground work to help him out when he needs it.

      Delete