Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Star....10/26/10

After two  days of rain ( which I will not complain about), finally back to riding.  Star was pretty revved up after 2 days off, but she is an older mare and came back to earth pretty fast.

She is still very reactionary on her right side, everything that happens to her on that side makes her nervous.  Her left has a softer feel, so common sense says I need to do more on her right.  BUT do not forget to keep working the left also.

We worked on slow collection.  I would squeeze her with my thighs (with light contact in the bit) until I felt her back round up and then immediately give her release.  Horses learn from the release, so timing is everything.  All of this was done at a walk or slow  trot.  Just for a little variety we also did some slow spins. 

She will move as fast as I want her to, but getting her confident on both sides of her body is going to make her a safer horse for her owners.

No comments:

Post a Comment