Total Pageviews

Monday, July 11, 2011

Magic - 7/3/11

I continued with the exercises started on 7/2.  This time once she was saddled, I set her up to start following a feel.  Meaning I asked her to bend her head around and start with the lateral flexion.  I want to be able to bend her into a one rein  stop if I have to when I start riding.  I started out just running the lead rope around the opposite side of her hind end (rope around the left hip and me on the right)  and just building a fence with my hands (meaning I applied a steady pull, never increasing and releasing as soon as she gave into it)  Basically I was asking her to turn in a small circle each time, both directions with her feet moving.  Once she was doing the small circle fairly well, I started asking her to just give into the side just like I would ask if I was sitting in the saddle.  This is important because she does have to understand that a cue to release to the pressure, doesn’t always mean she has to move.  If all of the cues are not there, then she should only give me what I’m asking for.  Once I felt she understood the process, I hooked her up to drive. 
This can be a little tricky if the horse does not know what the ropes  feel like.  If it is a threat to them, then you end up running around the round pen trying to catch up and get them out of a bind.  Here is where the ground work comes into play, using your stick and string (or the end of your lead rope) you should all ready be flicking the rope all over them.  This prepares them for the contact of the driving reins.  I hooked the reins to the snaffle rings and put one rein on either side and asked her to move forward.  Once she was moving then I started asking her to turn into and away from the fence.  This should continue until she gives both ways easily.  Once she does, build a fence with both hands (Mike Kevel calls it being as steady as a fence post, once they quit pulling on the pressure..it goes away) and hold it until you get a release.  It is not always going to be a big release, reward the smallest try!

No comments:

Post a Comment