Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Buddy - 7/5/14

I went down early this morning to mess with Buddy a little, since someone was coming today to take a look at him.  I did not plan on getting on him.

I have saddled Buddy two other times and he is solid as a rock, so I generally saddle him over by the tack shed.  Again, the groundwork has led him to be a pretty calm solid gelding.

I did all of the basic things I did yesterday to start with.  I want to make sure there are no holes in what we are doing today.  A horse is a living, breathing, thinking animal...what he sees on a daily basis can change how he reacts to stimuli.  So, no holes means...where is his attitude / brain today.

Everything went as expected and he was pretty solid on the ground.  So I leaned on the stirrups a little, bounced around him and jumped toward and into him.  I want him to be ready for anything.

He did really well, so I thought "I'll just step into one stirrup".  He never flinched.  So I stood in one stirrup, and laid across the saddle, on both sides several times.  He did really well.

I next thought, "this is going good, I think I'll just swing a leg over".  Again, he just stood there like I had been doing this forever.  So I asked him to move out a little.  I didn't try to direct him, i just wanted him to get a feel for me on his back.  He was hesitant (which is to be expected), but eventually stepped out and did fine.  I even asked for a give or two.

Later when the buyer (Krystal) came, I basically did most of this over again.  Except I did ask him to give me some lateral flexion, which I didn't do earlier.  I think he really did well.

Upshot is, Krystal bought him and I agreed to put 30 rides on him.  He's going to be fun and I think she will enjoy the journey with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment