Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Buddy - 7/6/14

Worked Buddy on the ground first.  Always do this first on a young horse, especially within the first 30 rides.  You need to know where his head is.  So much can affect the way they will react to things.  Things like, is the wind blowing...your horse will be twitchier, more on guard.  This is not a big deal, just means that natural instinct to flight is higher.  Horses are watchful, they notice a predator sneaking up on the by grass movement and many other things.  When the wind is blowing, all the grass is moving.  So they will be more watchful.

I worked Buddy on the ground, with the saddle on.  We did all of the basic groundwork and I answered these questions before I moved on to the next step:

Can I flick my stick and string all over him?
Yes, solid.  Not much bothering him here.

Will he yeild that hind end?
Yes, not as sharp as I would like.  But he will get sharper as we go.

Will he move sideways, both directions?
again, yes.  Not as sharp as I would like. But he will get sharper as we go.

Can I get him out of my space?
again, yes. Not as sharp as I would like. But he will get sharper as we go.

If you answer these questions daily, then you can insure that your time will be productive.

So once we were complete with the questions, I went ahead and did all of the pre-ride checks for a young horse.  Bounced around to make sure he would accept me having to hop to get on.  Stood in one stirrup, both sides.  All went well so I stepped aboard.

Today I attempted a lot more steering that I did before.  He, of course, was somewhat resistant to the idea.  But the ground work came into play and he at least had somewhat of an idea what I wanted.  I put two barrels up just to give us a target to get around.  He did ok.

 
As you can tell from me in the videos, the temptation is going to be to go to fast.  Buddy is a curious and willing horse, but there were times that I asked for things to fast and with too much pressure.  The key is to take the time it takes now, so it doesn't take so long in the future.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment