Total Pageviews

Monday, August 5, 2013

Sissy - 8/4/13

After a few lost days because of a thrown shoe and a lamb show...we're back to riding today!

Started the day with some basic groundwork, just to see where Sissy's head was.  She did pretty well and really is showing how far along she has come. 

So I moved right into the ride.  We started with just some forward motion and quickly started working on lateral flexion as we moved.  Which is a fancy way of saying I asked her to walk/trot some little circles and release her chin when I asked her to.  It's important that she is comfortable at all gaits when you ask for any release.  Holes in a horses training turn into the Grand Canyon when speed is added.  So worked on what we have been working on for some time.  Releasing smoothly to the left and right at a stand still, walk and trot.  I don't like to ask for more than she can handle, but I am going to be introducing new things for her to learn.  The trick is, when she gets rattled, to back up and do it slower!

Rode her outside for a bit, asking her to walk (and trot) straight lines.  She did ok.  Sissy is doing pretty well for 21 days of working.  The biggest jump in what she learns and how fast she learns it will probably occur from about day 25 to day 40.

Amber asked me about using a stick when I rode and I basically use it as an extension of my hands.  Sometimes I use it to ask her to move forward, sometimes I use it to to ask her to move her shoulders or hind end over.  It just gives me more extension.  It is useful, but there is a learning curve...

No comments:

Post a Comment