Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Sissy - 8/9/13


Well, we finally got the shoe back on. Sissy's riding has been sporadic at best, but she is smart as a whip...so mentally she has kept up!

 Since we had a few days off, I thought it would be a good idea to do some ground work.  So we started with the basics.  Yielding her hind end, backing away from me when I ask, and giving her face to both directions…

 She did pretty well, though she does struggle with a soft give when you ask her to yield her face.  Time and wet saddle blankets will make that better.  I also started asking her to step up and off of the box (bridge if you prefer).  I know that she does not like to back out of a trailer and that’s because it’s a blind step.  Not only blind…but backwards too!  Horses fear the unknown, so we need to make sure that she trusts me enough to make that blind step.  That trust has to start with baby steps.  Forward motion on  and off the box is our first steps.

 As far as riding, she did fine.  No drama, she will give a release when you ride, but it is not as soft as I would like to see.  All in all, pretty good for two days off.

No comments:

Post a Comment