Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Annie....9/1/10

Most horsemen will tell you a horse is about subtlety, that we are not built to be that way.  We are direct line thinkers, so we miss signals that a horse gives us.  So my advice to everyone is to "take the time it takes". 

Yesterday I was going to start driving Annie on the ground because of how will she did the day before.  needless to say, she was not ready.  She has been driven in the past, but that was some time ago.  I put to much pressure on her and she did not respond well.  She resisted alot and fought the whole time.  BUT, I am smart enough to know when to back off.  After 20 minutes of a very "western" outing, I BACKED UP to the basics.  We finished out just fine and I turned her loose in the round pen just the carry the snaffle around for a while.  Sometimes when you push to fast, you can undo alot of the work you did to get to that point.  Since I backed up, we were able to finish on a good note.

No comments:

Post a Comment