Total Pageviews

Monday, September 27, 2010

Star....9/25/10

Saturday....
Beautiful day in south Texas!  Left early to pick up two weanlings for the kids 4H project next year.  So I got a late start on Stars ride.

We again rode in the big pen, working on collection and staying in a straight line.  She is really starting to transfer what I am trying to teach her into her normal patterns.  Meaning I don't have to work as hard to show her what I want, she is becoming really attentive to the cues I am giving her.  I normally do not just cover one or two items when  I ride.  I may talk about only a couple of items here, but when I ride I try to cover all the things I have been doing.  I work on lateral and vertical flexion, side passing, two tracking, spins, ect.  I take the manuvers she is weakest at and work the most on those (usually the ones I write about here). 

The more you ride a horse, the more they pick up on the subtleties of your cues.  Do I move my legs the same way every time I asked her for a lead change, if so....your horse should start to pick up on this.  They will react to the cue faster, and sometimes before you even give the cue.  They are reacting to the cue, based on the moves you made before the cue.  This means consistency.  If you change your training program everyday, then you will not be consistent and your horse will not show consistent growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment