Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Star....9/21/10

Rode down the road again last night.  Star likes to travel, so again pretty fast at a long trot.  Since I like a horse that will move on out, I really enjoyed it.  She still likes to get a little right brained (reactive side of her brain) , but is spending less and less time there everyday.  So I really look forward to the day her owner comes to ride. 

So much of riding a horse like this is staying level yourself, meaning when she is scared...you can't be scared with her.  A horse can feel a fly on their back, so they can surely feel when we are scared.  Our muscles tense up, our energy comes up and the horse get pre-signaled that they were right.  They were right in believing that whatever booger that they thought they saw, long before we did, is really there.  So if we are not going to be the lead horse (and show them that there is nothing to react to), they will take matters in their own hooves and fly the coop.  It takes lots and lots of practice to get this kind of trust from your horse.  Do you want a horse that never scares at anything, no.  But what is your level of "scare"?  I want my horses to "scare in place".  Meaning, I want them watching what is happening and waiting for my response. 

As I have said before....you can't ride scared, but you can ride prepared!

No comments:

Post a Comment