Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Star....9/14/10

Star is getting stronger, more confident ever day.  That will be the case with most horses.  Back in the day it was called "wet saddle blankets".  I can remember hearing this as a kid, thinking "why would you wet the saddle blankets before you put them on the horse?"  Seems I was missing the concept, hopefully everyone knows what this means.  If not, it means riding.  Riding in the pasture, riding in the arena (I usually get bored with arena work way before my horses do..) or even riding down the road (always think about the person in the car, they usually have no idea about slowing down or any of the things we know can happen while they are roaring past).  I ride down the road, since I don't have access to acreage to ride on (to me that is the best, lots of ground to cover without the dangers of the road)  Last evening, I did some check ups on Star in preparation of riding down the road.  Can I do one rein stops (yes), do we have good lateral flexion (yes) and can we travel between the reins (stay in a straight line--yes).  At this time I believe she is prepared to go down the road.  Does that mean there will be no problems, no...dogs running out to the road, people unaware of how a car roaring by at 60 can scare a horse, that piece of horse eating trash blowing toward you....all these things can create issues.  But if you have prepared your horse to trust you and you have spent some time in the arena or pasture (thus your confidenct will be stronger) then you are ready as you can be.  As with any horse activity, if in doubt....don't do it.  Make sure your fundamentals are solid.  The more "wet" saddle blankets you pull off your horse, the more solid they become!

No comments:

Post a Comment