Total Pageviews

Monday, July 15, 2013

Sissy - 7/11/13


Today we started out with the basics.  Basic ground skills translate so much to what you do in the saddle, but more importantly…it teaches the horse to respect you.  And, if you lack a little confidence…it can build you up to be brave together.  Because if you are fearful, then it makes your horse fearful.  After all, the horse can flick a fly of his back by twitching a muscle!  Don’t you think they know when we are scared…and don’t you think this makes them start looking for things to be scared of….

I use the ground basics to build confidence, confidence for the horse to understand that they can do certain things without being fearful (now, understand…I wasn’t always this way….I used just get on and force the issue…but that was when I was young and rubbery!)

Once I felt Sissy was ready, today is the day that we drive with the snaffle bit.  Now, she has been having her issues with flexing (both laterally and horizontally).  She will turn pretty easy, but she moves stiff and heavy.  But since this is the first day to drive with the snaffle, I don’t have huge expectations.

I hooked her up and we started.  She turns easy enough, but wants to move around on her front end instead of being on her back end.  We will need to work on that…

She did well enough, but is still plenty stiff and heavy.  This should improve with more wet saddle blankets.  I rode her a little, but since she was still a little sore on Tuesday…I did not push to hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment