Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Sissy - 7/9/13


As I mentioned yesterday, one of my goals today was to convice Sissy that she could move forward in a circle.  She really struggled, yesterday, with forward motion and releasing to pressure on side or the other.

But I started today with some basic ground work…yielding her hind end, backing away from me (and being brave enough to stay away until I invited her back in) and some release to pressure from the opposite side (simply asked for her to release her face, while standing on the opposite side.  I did this over the top of the saddle to simulate how I would ask if I was in the saddle).  I didn’t drive her with the snaffle, but plan on doing that on Thursday.  Today I wanted to focus on forward motion….

It took her most of the ride, but she finally sorta got the idea that I was asking for just a little release as she was moving forward.  She is right where I would expect her to be after three days riding in a snaffle.

I did notice that after riding her for a while (this was a lot harder ride than I had been doing before), that she was still a little touchy on that left front foot that was trimmed to short.  We may have to ease up on the hard rides for a bit until that foot toughens up.  She travels fine…just a little sore after a hard ride.  There are still lots of things we can do to set the stage for later on, so this is not a huge worry.

No comments:

Post a Comment