Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Belle...10/24/11

No pictures today, just more of the same as yesterday. Yesterday when I rode her for the first time, it was more about her carrying me around.  Yes, I did has for some stops and turns...but I was not really concerned about where we were going.

Today, was a little different.  Started her again with ground work, making sure her mind is right before we push on to the next thing.  Saddling went really well and when I finally mounted up, she was ready for some direction.  She still had it in her mind that she could travel anywhere she wanted to, but I started giving her direction.  We made several trips around the round pen, with her continually looking to change directions, before I asked her to turn.  I did this quite a bit and finally she was waiting for me to ask before she wanted to turn.  Stopping is getting better, she is a quick learner!  She needs her feet trimmed before I ask for more speed, which is happening on Tuesday.  More speed does not mean that the training is speeding up, I am just going to ask her to long trot and lope at different points of the ride.

From here for a little while, things are going to get boring for the outsider.  So much of training is repitition, consistantly doing the same thing over and over again until the horse understands what you are asking for.  Posts might get a little shorter and there might not always be pictures.  But I will try to note the milestones.

No comments:

Post a Comment